Lectures: 2,009 | Views: 38,199,216 | Subscribers: 287,239 | Subscribe
Composition of Blood
Blood is a connective tissue, which implies that is consists of a collection of cells surrounded by an extracellular matrix. The extracellular matrix (or simply the matrix) is the blood plasma. Blood plasma consists mostly of water but also contains proteins (albumin, immunoglobulins, fibrinogen), nutrients (sugars, fatty acids, amino acids), waste products (urea, lactic acid, carbon dioxide), electrolytes (sodium, calcium, chloride, bicarbonate) and hormones. The function of blood plasma is to create a fluid-like substance through which all these different types of nutrients and waste products can move from one location to a different location in the body. It is used to regulate the concentration of the matrix of all the different cells in our body. The blood consists of about 55% blood plasma by volume. The remaining 45% consists of cells. There are three types of cells - erythrocytes, leukocytes and thrombocytes. Erythrocytes, also called red blood cells, carry oxygen from one cell to another. Leukocytes, also known as white blood cells, come in many different types. These fight off bacterial and viral infections. Thrombocytes, also called platelets, are involved in the blood clotting process.
[{"id":"wiy23SyIK-g","title":"Introduction to Cardiovascular System","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/introduction-to-cardiovascular-system"},{"id":"c2B6C-W_tIg","title":"Composition of Blood","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/composition-of-blood"},{"id":"-zjUZjkNLsI","title":"Types of Blood Vessels","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/types-of-blood-vessels"},{"id":"PTYwFQq4loI","title":"Blood Pressure in Arteries, Veins and Capillaries","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/blood-pressure-in-arteries-veins-and-capillaries"},{"id":"uhYnKRH8Gho","title":"Compliance of Blood Vessels","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/compliance-of-blood-vessels"},{"id":"-QclTMSvm3U","title":"Resistance of Blood Vessels and Volume Flow Rate","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/resistance-of-blood-vessels-and-volume-flow-rate"},{"id":"KwbqTHEnJw0","title":"Structure of the Heart","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/structure-of-the-heart"},{"id":"vWUvsX1OvbQ","title":"Blood Flow in the Heart","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/blood-flow-in-the-heart"},{"id":"4o2nHfVMfC8","title":"Electrical Conduction in the Heart","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/electrical-conduction-in-the-heart"},{"id":"O04d0hZ1ofo","title":"Introduction to Electrocardiogram","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/introduction-to-electrocardiogram"},{"id":"XqCi3dk18pI","title":"Major Arteries of Circulation System","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/major-arteries-of-circulation-system"},{"id":"2ukQlpNA6-s","title":"Osmosis, Osmotic Pressure and Hydrostatic Pressure","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/osmosis-osmotic-pressure-and-hydrostatic-pressure"},{"id":"bmQDAM-q2OM","title":"Exchange Across Capillaries","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/exchange-across-capillaries"},{"id":"DjmWmbzUogM","title":"Recycling of Red Blood Cells","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/recycling-of-red-blood-cells"},{"id":"SPSvc7-1dec","title":"Blood Clotting Cascade","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/blood-clotting-cascade"},{"id":"VJm1kaVQI9E","title":"Blood Clotting Cascade (Part II)","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/blood-clotting-cascade-part-ii"},{"id":"zGlW29VuSkA","title":"Amplification of Blood Clotting","link":"http:\/\/www.aklectures.com\/lecture\/amplification-of-blood-clotting"}]
Comments
Playlists
Login to create and share playlists